The Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum is looking for individuals to fill paid internship roles as Outreach Educators within the Education Department. Interns are responsible for assisting in development of, and delivery of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) based content via informal education through afterschool/out-of-school time experiences. Interns will acquire transferable skills applicable for any career, to include communication, critical thinking, and organizational based skills. The Outreach Educator Internship functions as a Professional Development/Workforce Development opportunity for undergraduate students.
- Delivering afterschool/out-of-school time programming to support middle and elementary school youth at site locations throughout Omaha
- Attendance professional development training opportunities and participates in program quality assessments
- Be present one day per week on site at the museum to prepare supplies for that week of afterschool/out-of-school time programming
- Preparation, planning, and execution of engaging activities for youth in the afterschool/out-of-school time
- Development of a skill base to provide high quality educational experiences to learners of all ages
- Communication with other Education Department members
- Communication with staff from afterschool programming sites (to include site staff and the site director)
- Assistance in attendance tracking and development of new engaging educational material to be used during the afterschool/out-of-school time context
- Maintain an organized space in addition to tracking materials usage during programming
- A flexible environment where the individual is on-site at the museum for one day a week
- The key hours for this internship position are during the afterschool time hours of 3pm to 6pm during the week, Monday through Friday.
- Reliable transportation to commute between schools and the museum (one day a week)
- Internship hours can be offered for as little as 5 hours a week and up to 20 hours per week
- Pay is at an hourly rate of $14.00 per hour.
- Internship conditional on successfully passing a background check
Interns will gain familiarity with STEM-based content via delivering afterschool programming in the Omaha area. Additionally, the internship is a professional development opportunity for undergraduate students to build their professional network and transferable skills (e.g. organization and critical thinking).